Most consumers are aware that window coverings cords can pose a safety risk for young children and pets. At 3 Day Blinds, we are members of the Window Coverings Safety Council, an industry group that works to set standards and continuously improve the safety of our products.
How can homeowners be sure that the products in their home are safe? We asked Michael McCarty, our Director of Engineering for some advice.
“My first suggestion would be to set up a free consultation with one of our expert designers by calling 877-614-3329. They have been trained to look at the application in the home and recommend custom window treatments that will meet their clients’ safety requirements, but still address their needs for great style, light control, insulation, and to work within a budget.” he says.
He also offered the following tips:
- Update all window coverings in the home made before 2001 with today’s safer products.
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferably to another wall.
- Install only cordless window coverings in young children’s bedrooms and sleeping areas.
- Keep all window pull cords, inner lift cords and back cords out of the reach of children. Make sure:
- Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds or shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a window sill.
- Tasseled pull cords are always out of reach, whether the window treatment is raised or lowered.
- Continuous cord loops are permanently anchored to the floor or wall.
- Cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit movement of inner lift cords.
- Never mount products with back cords, in windows accessible to children.Wrap the pull cord around a cord cleat which is securely mounted to the wall when the blind or shade is not in use.
All products manufactured by 3 Day Blinds are in conformance with the current voluntary American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards for corded window covering products. Here is Michael’s recommended list of safer products offered by 3 Day Blinds:
Faux Wood Blinds
Liftless Angled Slat 2” Faux Wood Blinds
Liftless 2” Faux Wood Blinds
Cordless Honeycomb Shades
Motorized with Remote Control Honeycomb Shades
Cordless Roller Shades
Motorized Roller Shades with Remote Control
Horizontal Sheer Shades
Motorized Horizontal Sheer Shades with Remote Control
Cordless Roman Shades
Cordless Vertical Blinds (Wand Control)
Liftless 2” Wood Blinds
Woven Wood Shades
Cordless Woven Wood Shades
3 Day Blinds also provides free retrofit kits to make older blinds safer, regardless of where they were purchased. For more information, click here. To schedule a free, in-home design consultation, call 877-614-3329, or click here to meet your local 3 Day Blinds Design Consultant.